2010 Bronx Half Marathon

Overall Time: 1:29:21
Pace: 6:49
Place: 184 of 5045
AG%: 66.28%

Weather: 70 Degrees, 73% Humidity
Start time: 7:00

Splits: 6:58, 6:57, 6:41, 6:57, 6:55, 6:48,6:54, 6:40, 6:41, 6:47, 6:53, 6:38, 6:47, 0:41


Finishing Strong.

This wasn’t the race that I really expected. It all started when I headed down to the train, and ended up waiting FORTY TWO god-damned minutes for it to arrive.  I and all the others waiting for the train were quite irritated — and of course, when we’re only 5 stops shy of the half-marathon stop the conductor makes an announcement: “Dear passengers, due to being behind schedule, the next stop on the train will be Woodlawn.” Woodlawn is course was the end of the line — and past where I needed to be. I, along with an ENTIRE TRAIN of irritated passengers, got off and waited for the next train to arrive. What. The Fuck.

A few minutes later another train comes, and the crazy masses all pile back into the train. I’m sure the passengers in the train were like, “WTF is going on?! Where are all these runners coming from?!”  A few stops later, we make it to our stop, to the cheers and applause of the entire train car.

What ensued next was one part pandemonium, and one part hilarity (I find the two often naturally go together). Hundreds and hundreds of passengers empty the train, and start running to the baggage check / porta potties / start line. They’re darting down stairs, running across traffic, hurdling over toddlers – all trying to make it to the start of the race, knowing that they’re already late.  At this point it’s a little unclear where the race start even is. I throw my bag into bag check, make a quick stop at the john, and head to the “start” of the race – only to find that I am officially more than TWELVE minutes behind the entire field.  Christ.

It was really hard snaking my way through the entire race. I had to run alone the entire time, and couldn’t even find a single person to pace off any of the 13.1 miles. I was irritated, I had to *somehow* find a way to the front so that I could run without being boxed in, and I was alone – this was basically going to be a mental uphill battle.

That in mind, I wasn’t going to try and PR today; it was just too difficult to start off a race in such hellish fashion. I just wanted to run a good pace, finish, and go home.  With a 1:29, that’s exactly what I did.

I was supposed to meet up with Ryan Q from dailymile to run a few miles together, but of course that never happened. He did have good enough eyes to spot me after the race, and came over to introduce himself and his girlfriend to me. He had tried to break 1:26, but told me he didn’t quite make it (1:26:03).  However, I just checked the nyrr.org website and his official chip time is 1:25:59!  I hope he’s figured this out by now! Congratulations, Ryan!

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>